Thursday, 16 February 2012

Pizza Pockets

Isn't it the best feeling when you discover something pleasant? And yummy? I love it when such accidents happen on weekdays. It just lifts up your day and gives you strength to carry on (very filmy, but true). So I came home from work to find my mum missing and decided that for a change I'll give her an evening snack when she returns. (My mum cutely has a snack prepared everyday when I come back from work...what can I say, she thinks I do a lot of work involving manual labour).

So I washed my face and hands (look how clean I am), tied my hair in a ponytail (hair strands in one's food can possibly ruin a surprise...unless you can sell it to your customer or 'surprisee' as flavouring or something), and preheat the oven. I started making the dough for my quiche when I had an epiphany. And Pizza Pockets were born.



Like cute little samosa bags, I filled the dough up with some yummy tomato pasta sauce (store bought, tasted great) lotsa veggies (whatever I could find: mushrooms, broccoli, carrots), sprinkled some italian seasoning and garlic powder, pulled the dough together and covered the gaps on top with the help of little dough flaps and put them in the oven. Oh, and instead of a pie tin, I used, wait for it, cupcake moulds!



Oh, and I mixed some rosemary and sage into the dough while rolling it out...added to the great flavour.

I patted myself and put these babies into the oven and set it for 15 mins. However, two minutes later I took them out to add cut up olives on top, because anyone who knows me knows I love olives. Back in the oven, I waited with bated breath.



The wait was worth it and the result was delicious. In fact they looked so pretty and smelled so good, mum and I couldn't wait to dive in. Result: Burnt tongue.


I think they make for great snacks and mini-meals for kids. I deliberately didn't use cream coz I wanted to keep it low fat. It had maida and some cheese so not that low-fat after all... But I bet it'll taste even better with more cheese and some mayonnaise. I shall experiment on friends who can afford to put on a couple of kgs :) How I hate you and love you at the same time, you jackasses.


No comments:

Post a Comment